If you or a loved one is struggling with alcohol use, we can help. Footprints to Recovery offers alcohol addiction treatment that’s evidence-based and personalized to your clinical needs, preferences, and life situation. We don’t just treat the symptoms of addiction; we address underlying issues like co-occurring mental health conditions and trauma that perpetuate substance use.
Unfortunately, this can make you feel apathetic, unmotivated, and downright bored. This is the result of your body trying to regulate its levels of neurotransmitters to find balance again. As the lines between real and fake blur, Americans increasingly chase the idea of authenticity. The first drinking out of boredom step may be to consider self-knowledge, truthfulness, and other building blocks on the road to personal growth. Boredom can be a catalyst for your child or teenager’s self-awareness, imagination, resilience, and creativity. On the other hand, chronic boredom can be a sign of problems.
“I’m Bored… And Drinking Gives Me Something To Do.”
Here is a resource for our Los Angeles friends, but here is a handy guide to planning a cleanup no matter where you’re at. Perhaps more importantly, making ‘resisting temptation’ the entire project of quitting alcohol also implies that alcohol is awesome. This, at the very least, is a questionable premise.
“That’s becoming a real turning point”, she told Goodto. However, feeling bored without alcohol isn’t actually a bad thing. And the sickness and tiredness you feel after the initial high of alcohol consumption wears off is neither fun nor interesting.
Reasons You Might Feel Bored Without Alcohol
If you think you have a serious physical addiction to alcohol, seek medical advice. It starts by telling you how Bette’s dead body was discovered, several weeks after dying of alcoholism, surrounded by rubbish in a home that was falling apart. Then it lists all of the ways her poor body had gradually broken down due to her addiction. In the world of non-drinkers, non-alcoholic beers, wines and spirits are VERY controversial. Many argue they should be totally avoided as they are dangerous triggers, and only remind people of what they’re missing, thereby dragging them onto that slippery slope. There are also a few other online courses you can join if you’re giving up alcohol, though bear in mind some of them go ‘live’ with a set start date.
- Sometimes, even with the best coping strategies in place, it can still be difficult to manage your boredom without drinking or using drugs.
- I am over a year sober from pills but replaced it with drinking.
- I have some hobbies but they’re all introverted hobbies, like reading or blogging.
- The good news is that your brain can adjust and restore balance to your internal world.
- This may take some careful vetting to find one that works best for you.
- You need to be proactive, find a solution for yourself.
- And the consequences of a night drinking are the fatigue, nausea, and anxiety of your hangover.